Kelli over at That Looks Like It Needs Stitches posted a picture of an Ender Dragon that she is going to make for her son’s Minecraft Quilt. I decided I wanted to make one for Alison’s quilt too and I wanted to try my hand at making my own pattern.
In order to get the dimensions right, I used the picture she posted and plotted the whole thing out in MacStitch – a cross stitch design program that I usually use for converting antique cross stitch samplers into patterns for sale. I printed out a one-page preview and started dividing the pattern up into blocks that were easier to handle in one sitting at the sewing machine. Then, I further divided up each block into chunks and made a list of the pieces I would need to cut for each chunk.
I’ve put together two of the twelve sections I came up with and here’s what it looks like so far. The black is a wing and the gray below is the end of the tail. 🙂
I have the third section cut out. I’m hoping to get the rest of them cut out this weekend. It’s also Harborfest weekend here in Norfolk, so we’ll see how much I get done. 🙂